A bowl of porridge is traditionally seen as comfort on a cold morning, but its cosiness doesn’t mean it can’t also be fresh and bright. Here, the brightness comes from citrus fruit and the exotic notes of coconut and cardamom. This is one of my favourite winter breakfasts at the moment.
- 1 mug oats (about 120g)
- 1 mug water
- 1 mug milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- Natural yogurt (or plain yogurt of your choice), to serve
- Brown sugar, to serve
- In a small pan, toast your desiccated coconut until it starts to turn golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Peel and slice your grapefruit. Set three quarters of the slices aside. Finely chop the other quarter of the slices and add them, along with the juices they will release, to the small pan.
- Add the oats, water, milk, coconut oil and ground cardamom to the pan. Bring to a simmer and stir regularly until the porridge has reached a thick, creamy consistency.
- Pour the porridge into two bowls, top with a swirl of natural yogurt, the grapefruit slices, the toasted desiccated coconut and brown sugar, to taste.